Monday, January 14, 2008

The Adored - A New Language
Photobucket
(V2 Records)
(REVIEW BY DAVE GETZOFF)

I saw the Adored open up for the Buzzcocks at the North Star Bar in Philly in June. I was quite impressed with their live show. It was a high energy youthful pop punk powepop blast! This is definitely the type of band that should be touring with the Buzzcocks. It's much better than seeing the Buzzcocks tour with Pearl Jam. In fact, Pete Shelley even recorded some vocal tracks on the Adored's 7 inch single.
The band's first full length album, A New Language, was just released last month. It is a great sounding album filled with 14 songs inspired by late '70s punk and powerpop with a touch of '60s pop as well. I have been listening to this a lot lately, and some of my favorite songs are "Tell Me Tell Me", "We Don't Wan't You Around", "Weak Spots", and "Less I Know". My favorite song on the album is "Savage Youth". It sounds like the type of song that could have been released on a slab of 7 inch vinyl in 1978. As I listen to this song, I can picture in my mind the vinyl going round and round on the turntable as I hear the wonderful sound of pop punk gold blasting out of the speakers. This song has an early Generation X feel to it because it is catchy as hell and Generation X loved to sing about the youth of their time just as the Adored are doing today. Some of the lines in "Savage Youth" that really seem to stick out in my mind are "While we steal cigarettes/ they're stealing our retirement" and also "These days are supposed to be the best of our lives, but we get stopped and checked for knives". I felt this way about two weeks ago when I saw the Germs at the Trocadero in Philly. The people going into the show where checked with metal detectors as they entered the club. Normally they just get patted down. In my fifteen years of going to shows, this was only the second time I have seen this happen. What is this world coming to?
--- Dave Getzoff August 23, 2006

(originally posted on Now Wave Webzine on August 23, 2006)

No comments: