Monday, January 14, 2008

Now Wave presents:
Greatest Girl Bands 1982-2007
Chapter Two: Screaming Sneakers
by Dave Getzoff
Photobucket
Screaming Sneakers were a female-fronted punk band that came from the early '80s south Florida punk scene. I first heard about this band a few years ago when I heard the song "Violent Days" on the Hyped to Death 22 compilation CD. "Violent Days" was an instantly likeable pop punk anthem that I played over and over again when I first heard it. This was definitely a standout song, and Lisa Nash's vocals were amazing! I was hoping to hear more music from this band, but at first that seemed unlikely. Sadly, they only released one 12" four-song EP called Marching Orders (1982). This EP is very rare and, I would imagine, very expensive. To the best of my knowledge, it has never been re-issued.

So I was very happy to see that someone was kind enough to set up a myspace page for the Screaming Sneakers. It features all four songs from the EP. I still like the song "Violent Days" the best, although the other three songs are pretty decent also. The song "I Can't Help It" is a great melodic song as well; it is actually a cover of the Reactions, whom I have previously written about for this zine. They were another great band from the south Florida scene.
Although the Screaming Sneakers only released one EP, they still seem to be a band that people like today. I have searched around on the web and see that they still get their music played on college radio stations and are talked about in blogs and on message boards.
Enjoy!

Screaming Sneakers were:
Lisa Nash - Vocals
Gary Sunshine - Guitar
Bud Gangemi - Bass
Mark Evans - Drums
Screaming Sneakers myspace page
The Greatest Girl Bands: 1982-2007

(originally posted on Now Wave Webzine in 2007)

No comments: