Monday, January 14, 2008

Lollipop Is Burning Festival DVD
(Lollipop Records)
(REVIEW BY DAVE GETZOFF)

This DVD features five bands playing live at the Lollipop is Burning Festival in Paris, France. These live performances took place on November 12 and 13 of 2004. I am very familiar with the Briefs, whom I have seen live several times and own every album. The other four bands - the Hatepinks, Jerry Spider Gang, Neurotic Swingers, and Petit Vodo - are new to me. So this DVD was a great introduction to the great punk rock that has been happening in France. The Hatepinks played a high-energy set of great, catchy songs. These songs were along the lines of something you would hear on a Killed By Death compilation. The Jerry Spider Band had more of a garage rock sound with energy. Kinda like the MC5 meets the Stooges meets Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. The Neurotic Swingers totally rocked, and I really liked their song "I'm Just Losing My Soul". Petit Vodo's set was a pretty interesting set of blues influenced rock. Petit plays the drums, guitar, harmonica, and sings. I think that everyone knows about the Briefs, they rocked as always. There were also some interviews with the bands. Unfortunately I was unable to understand anything that they were saying since they spoke in French and the DVD did not feature any subtitles. Overall, I enjoyed this DVD.
Dave Getzoff February 19, 2007

(originally posted on Now Wave Webzine on February 19, 2007)

No comments: