Monday, January 14, 2008

The Queers - Munki Brain CD
Photobucket
(Asian Man Records)
(REVIEW BY DAVE GETZOFF)

The Queers always kept me happy throughout most of the 1990s. Whenever I was feeling down, I could always just pop in a Queers CD. There's just something about their music that seems to always put me in a good mood. On one hand, they can write the catchiest, snottiest, most obscene, upbeat, high energy punk songs that could make your parents head for the hills. On the other hand, they have always had the ability to write some of the most memorable surf/pop, Beach Boys inspired love songs that I have ever heard. In fact, the Queers have enough songs like this that they could probably put a set of material together and play the junior high school dance and the principal would not object. Hell, even my dad once heard me listening to the Queers about twelve years ago and said it reminded him of listening to the Beach Boys in the 1960s. In my opinion, Joe Queer is truly a great American songwriter.

I just picked up Munki Brain , the latest Queers album, last week, and I have been listening to it constantly. The Queers continue to do what they do best, writing great songs in the spirit of the Ramones and the Beach Boys. However, they do this by adding their own sound without straight-out ripping those bands off. If you loved great Queers albums such as Love Songs For the Retarded, Move Back Home, Don't Back Down etc., you will definitely want to pick this album up to hear thirteen more new Queers classics. Even Ben Weasel co-writes and writes a song for this album. It's hard to narrow it down to standout tracks because they are all standout tracks. I love them all! The album ends with a truly appropriate melodic song called "Brian Wilson" with duel vocals by Joe Queer and Lisa Marr.
Dave Getzoff May 27, 2007

(originally posted on Now Wave Webzine on May 27, 2007)

No comments: