Monday, January 14, 2008

Chaz Matthews - Amazing Graceless CD
Photobucket
(Full Breach Kicks)
(REVIEW BY DAVE GETZOFF)

As a diehard Dimestore Haloes fan, I've got to kick myself in the ass for waiting this long to buy a copy of Chaz Mathews's solo CD. I am certainly making up for lost time now; I have been listening to this album constantly. Chaz Mathews, the former singer and songwriter for Boston's Dimestore Haloes, continues to write great songs on his first solo album. Amazing Graceless is filled with 13 instantly likeable '77 punk meets '79 powerpop inspired tunes. The album kick starts off with the song "Girl From Detox", which kind of sounds like the New York Dolls on speed. "Holocaust Face" is a really great standout melodic song; it's not hard to see why this song was Now Wave Magazine's Song of the Year for 2005. Additional favorites of mine include "Hate Every Word", "Can't Start Loving You", "Musta Been Drunk", and "Down On Down". Actually, all the songs are great, although my absolute favorite is "Beautiful". This song is truly a masterpiece, a very well written thought out song with great lyrics. Like the Clash, Social Distortion, and the Replacements, Chaz's music grabs my attention, takes me into another world, and leaves a lasting impression on my mind.
--- Dave Getzoff January 28, 2007

(originally posted on Now Wave Webzine on January 28, 2007)

No comments: